Friday, November 7, 2008

Politicized at our marine club

OK, many of you know we are in a marine fish club. Well, there is an online forum - mostly for buy/sell/trade and advice, but there are also a couple places for random topics to be discussed. Posted over the last couple days, was this:

I was taking a shower getting ready for bed and I started thinking about the election of Barrack Obama and the euphoric feeling his supporters have displayed and expressed tonight. I personally do not and have not shared that feeling but I got to wondering about why people feel that way. I'm curious as to what people expect now that he is elected, so curious that I came back down here to post this!I've heard people say that his election 'matters' and that he 'will make a difference' so I wonder what exactly, in very concrete terms, people expect. Maybe I've missed something. What do people think is going to happen now hat he is elected? What is the cause of the euphoria people are feeling.This is a serious question and I'd like to keep the responses serious and non-partisan if at all possible. Primarily I'd like to hear from Obama supporters on this.Again, in concrete terms, what exactly do people expect will change, or get better, or be done that has led to the euphoria around the country. I'm genuinely curious to know.Thanks in advance.

And my response:
I think part of why Obama's message is so strong with so many people is because he believes, and encourages, all of us to take care of each other. Accept each other. Make sacrifices at your own personal level, to increase other people's position in life. And a lot of his policies and proposals are based on that idea (just think, more taxes for those who can afford it, less taxes for those who can't, green technology investments to create jobs, global policy that is reasonable). These ideas are why he was my candidate of choice.I understand that a lot of you think his ideas are pie-in-the-sky thinking, and there are not tons of substance behind the proposals, and wonder how is he going to do it, blah blah...that will be the biggest challenge of this administration. To live up to my expectations and hope for the future, Obama and Biden have a heck of a lot of work to do. I hope they prove me right.

No comments: