Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Schwans Man

They have ditched their winter coats and exchanged them for shorts - the formerly Midwestern Phenomenon known as "The Schwans Man" is coming to my house!!!

I saw the truck in the neighborhood last week and almost died. One of my favorite memories when I was a kid was having the doorbell ring and seeing that truck pull up. Mom always let us look at the tri-fold pamphlet, and 'sometimes' we could pick something out. My favorite was ALWAYS chip-and-mint ice cream, and somehow (probably Amy) the candy ice cream was chosen during Christmas.

That little orange sticker reminder of the next visit was always prominently displayed on our family calendar. I think as we got older, and busier, the Schwans man had a harder time catching us at home. And, it probably got kind of expensive to just buy goodies...

But behold! The company nowadays has an online ordering tool so you can plan your meals and pick what day you want them to deliver...so you are always at home, and if not, they will leave it in a freezer bag on your doorstep. How cool is that?

Sadly, my list is not as fun as when I was a kid. Chicken breasts, salmon filets, roasted sweet potatoes, and chicken pot pie are coming. Right before I 'checked out' online, a little voice whispered, "Will you please get some ice cream?". So, some ice cream sandwiches are coming too:)

What do you order from the Schwans man? And what is your favorite memory of him stopping by? (Keep it clean.)

No comments: