Saturday, February 27, 2010

Regret, hope, defeat, VICTORY!

No, the title of my blog post is not dramatic. It is true! Here's why:

Regret - The year was 1998. The Warner High School football team was in the semi-final 9B football game, the winner going on to the championship at the dome and the loser of the game season was over. Garth Brooks was on tour and playing in Sioux Falls. Yes, both events were occuring on the same day of the semifinal championship game. My mom, sister, aunt, and cousins elected to go to the Garth Brooks concert but I decided to stay home and cheer my little heart out for the football team. I missed the concert. Our team lost. I was upset about both but life moved on.

Hope - The year was 2009. Garth Brooks came out of retirement to play a limited engagement at the Wynn Las Vegas Encore Theater. I was not on the ball enough to get tickets for the first time around, but I signed up to receive an alert if they went on sale again. New dates were announced to me via email, and I logged on at 11:00am this morning to book my tickets to see this icon that I missed 10 years earlier!

Defeat - The time was 12:45pm. I had been trying to buy these tickets for almost 2 hours with no success. Jeff suggested I open multiple windows to sit in the "Virtual Waiting Room" while we get some lunch and the timers counted down.

Victory - The time was 3:35pm. Jeff was on the computer with the Virtual Waiting Rooms running in the background. Then, an excited cry: "Jessie, get in here!". Jeff's wonderful idea had gotten us through to the booking page!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to book our tickets but ran into another roadblock yet again - the website kept messing up. Then Jeff suggested I look at the other 15 screens open, and HARK! they were able to book tickets as well. He thought those other bookable screens were messing up my 'real' screen and recommended I close them down. I did, and was finally able to select my dates and number of tickets. A few minutes of waiting, and credit card authorizing, and I am so excited to say that we are going to Vegas to see Garth Brooks on June 25th!

If not for my wonderful Jeff, I would never have been able to navigate the Web successfully enough to right the regrets of my past. He is my hero! And I am also getting to see Garth!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yay!

Unknown said...

thie story was delightful, funny, frustratingly beautiful. Congratulations on a job well done to both.