Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cel-e-bration!

Last night I auditioned for the Edina Chamber Chorale (the smaller faction of the regular auditioned 90-person chorale) and I got in!! Well, with provisions - but I got in!

I kind of feel like I bombed it a little bit. Not 'da bomb', just not very good. I think I need to get my brain expectations inline with my abilities at this point and realize I need to practice a heck of a lot more than I am currently, to make me as good as I am in my head.

Anywho, the piece I was told to audition with was not even pulled out. Instead, he used "The Blessed Son of God" by Vaughan Williams - we were just beginning to rehearse the back half last night for the first time, so of course that's what he had me sing. No biggie, normally, right? I can sight read pretty darn well. BUT, (since I am not as in shape as I think), I had totally tuckered myself out during the first hour and half of rehearsal singing the Beethoven piece for this weekend and by the time the audition rolled around I was vocally exhausted - you know, kind of hoarse, breathing a lot and not in good places, not super focused sound, kind of wobbly...ugh.

BUT, he let me in as a sub - basically there are 2 sopranos that are normally in Chamber that are not able to sing this fall for Christmas. So I am singing since they are not!

He said he would re-evaluate positions after the Christmas concert so I have 2 months to knock his socks off during rehearsals. My new initiative is to sing every day - not every couple days like I have been. What I have been doing is just not enough to be what I want to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats! Now if you just had a piano to practice on....