Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Cleaning Authority

As most of you know, Jeff is the neat and clean one in the relationship. Therefore, during his absence, the house has become a bit of a disaster zone. Not bad, by my standards, but he would flip seeing all the shoes I have not put away.

And, he is also the one that vacuums regularly. Since I just can't quite get up the gumption to do it, or sweep or mop or anything else, imagine my thrill when direct marketing arrived on my doorstep:

"Life's too short to clean your own house."

I freaking couldn't agree more. And I would totally spring to get a deep cleaning done before he comes back as a nice surprise, cuz seriously, I would pay a lot of money to get it done once by someone else and take total credit for it.

I tore that direct marketed brochure open like nobody's business and immediately went to the website. Once there, to get a free estimate for someone from The Cleaning Authority to clean my house, I had to put in my zip code. And was surprised to see this message:

"Unfortunately, we do not have a location in your area at this time. However, we are continually expanding our locations across the country. The Cleaning Authority may have franchise opportunities available in your area. Click here to find out more."

Seriously???? So not only was this brochure DIRECT MARKETED to ME - MY NAME, at MY ADDRESS and ZIP CODE and the service IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS ZIP CODE, but to add insult to injury they think I totally want to reverse course and instead of paying someone to clean my house, I just might want to buy a franchise instead to earn the right to clean a bunch of other people's houses.

What? This story is probably really funny, if I hadn't been so excited by the prospect of this cleaning service.

Instead, I am seriously irritated by this. And calling Merry Maids.

2 comments:

Geof and Jen said...

Ms. Hartman,

My name is Geof Searles, and I work at the corporate offices for The Cleaning Authority in Columbia, Maryland. I am sorry you experienced such disappointment at finding out we apparently don't service your zip code. However, I have a feeling this is just an oversight, and I'm convinced we DO service your zip code. If you are still interested in our service, please feel free to contact me directly at 866-865-6243 or geoffrey@thecleaningauthority.com. If you let me know your zip code I can tell you how to obtain an estimate from one of our franchisees.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Geof Searles

Unknown said...

How sad is it that you can't even vacuum/sweep ONCE. Are you 85 years old and in a wheelchair????