Monday, August 25, 2008

The Great MN Get-Together

I love the fair. When we were kids we went every year to the Brown County Fair, and even stayed in the motor home for a few years. Over the course of time, I saw some seriously great country music acts, won my share of purple ribbons (and one white - still pissed about that one), and covered every cotton-candy soaked asphalt inch of ground on the midway. There was seriously nothing better than an Indian fry bread taco followed up by mini-donuts. YUM!

You would think that I would be an automatic shoo-in for attending the Minnesota State Fair. But I'm not going. Again. For the 4th year in a row of living in Minnesota.

Here's why:
REASON 1: It's expensive! $73, plus ouchy feet
$22 admission (for 2)
$10 bus fare (for 2)
$12 tacos (for 2) - and not of the fry bread variety
$5 soda (for 2 sodas)
$10 mini-donuts (for 2 bags)
$5 fresh lemonade
$4 Snickers on a Stick
$5 Sno Cone

REASON 2: I refuse to admit summer is over and winter is coming.

REASON 3: The sheer size and magnitude of the event is intimidating.

REASON 4: The locals can sniff out the newbies. Minnesota Nice does not always exist to those who did not grow up here.

In summary: I will continue to get my mini-donuts at Como Park.

3 comments:

becki said...

I love your blog! So funny you are!

Jessica Hartman said...

HEHE! THANKS BECKI!!!!!!! I wasn't sure anyone had read it yet (other than Jeff - and only because I call him every time I post a new one)!

Tony said...

My sister and I took Quinn to the fair yesterday - I hadn't been there in 4 years, though I used to go every year. We had fun, but the cost and the crowds were enough to remind me why I stopped going every year.

Congrats on the new home, by the way. What city do you guys live in now?

http://qasporer.blogspot.com/2008/08/its-all-about-donuts.html