Monday, August 30, 2010

Death by Firewood

Occasionally, I am known to complain on this blog. Today, I TOTALLY am going to complain a lot, so just close your browser if you don't want to hear about it.

Jeff and I decided it was time to finish up the wood cutting project he and Jason started a few weeks ago. Halved up logs were still in a hefty pile in the backyard and were just getting grosser and grosser with the more rain we got and time that passed.

It started out great - I would set up the logs on the chopping stump, Jeff swung, and then we chucked them towards the stack. After awhile, he convinced me I should try to swing the axe. I did. I was awesome at it (not). That crap is hard! And takes more practice than I want to do!!

Break time. I decided to continue to make myself useful instead of plopping in the chari, and begin stacking up the logs. Then, WHA-BLAM! My low back gave a big ol' pop and tears sprung to my eyes. I involuntarily began weeping and was immobilized because it hurt so bad; I didn't know if standing up, sitting down, or walking was going to help.

Finally I began pacing circles around the fire pit to try and keep things from tightening up. I alternated pacing and sitting for the next hour or so, then went inside (Jeff was still lumberjacking). I put some ice on and sat in my chair, which really took some nice pressure off. I got myself showered and dressed...which was no small feat.

The rest of the weekend was taken up with alternating walking and sitting, lots of ibuprofen and ice. THIS SUCKS!!! And now today at work it hurts SOOOO bad I think I am going to have to go home really early this afternoon. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No comments: