Monday, June 18, 2012

Time Management Confessional

I have been working out at the gym at work (!) 2-3 days a week over the lunch hour.  There are several classes I am in love with (hello Muscle Mayhem), and they are scheduled for 45 minutes.  This is perfect because you can change, go to class, and shower in an hour TOTAL and it's just like you were "out to lunch".

The problem is that I have never been a "lunch-taker".  Ever since entering the real world in 2004, I almost always, every day, bring my lunch and eat at my desk while working.  Occasionally, I'll go out to eat with colleagues for a special occasion or if we just need a break, but by and large I am a desk-eater.

Jeff helped me see that by going to class 2-3 times per week over lunch, I was really losing 2-3 hours of productvity I had previously depended on. 

Add that to the insane amount of workload and projects and special events and demands and everything else happening at work right now...and I'm behind.

I'm not majorly behind, but NOT performing at the level that I'm used to.

And I have a hard time saying no.  (Who's with me?) 

(By the way, my reasoning for saying "yes", is if I say "no" - the person is still going to do what they were going to do anyway and I will be STUCK WITH THE CONSEQUENCES without having had input.)

But I DO like my lunchtime ritual and break from work.  It's become really important to me.

The only options are to go to work earlier or stay later.  Staying later sucks (I already get home around 6:30PM), so I need to go work earlier.

So I made the decision.  I am committed to coming in early on Mondays and Thursdays. 

Guess what.  Today is Monday.  I came in 30 minutes early.

Eesh.  Not exactly what I had in mind.  But I guess I had to start somewhere?

No comments: