Friday, July 22, 2011

Superstar Potential

I think I am an awesome employee. I'm smart, I'm focused, I'm creative, I'm a leader, I'm a team player, I'm organized...the list goes on.

It's hard to step outside yourself and see if you have "real" superstar potential. I like this article from Penelope Trunk this week. She lists 5 ways to self-determine if you're on your way to greatness (the bullets are hers, but the comments are mine, about me, to see if I am a superstar).

1. You Bet Big on Yourself.
Well, we moved 1500 miles away for me to take a job I knew nothing about, in an industry that was new to me, with a company recently merged. I think that's betting big.

2. You Take Alternative Paths.
I don't think this applies to me as much. After all, I work - and am happy for the most part - in corporate america. I like my health benefits.

3. You're Overly Focused.
Also not sure if this applies to me. I definitely do not obsess - in fact, I am very much of the "good enough" mindset...uh-oh, strike 2.

4. You Were a Mediocre Student.
I was a good-not-great student in college. I was too busy living life to study as much as I should to be a great student. I also did not like a lot of the 'rules' and 'expectations' laid forth - and therefore just skipped out on some requirements along the way (which made me a good-not-great student!).

5. You Read. A Lot.
I am 100% addicted to my Kindle. And the Internet. And Magazines. (Jeff, I read a lot, right?)

6. Your Goals Align with Your Myers Briggs Score.
I am an ENFJ - 89% extroverted, 50% intuitive, 12% feeling, 11% judging. My goals are to be 'Master of the Universe', as I jokingly describe to people. Which means, I want to be master of a domain - manage people, make decisions, set strategy, and then make sure it happens.

I think that matched my personality type as described here: "ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than those of their NFP counterparts.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people."

No comments: