Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My favorite kids books

I am excited to see the "Where the Wild Things Are" movie. Anyone who knows me, knows I love to read, and have always loved to read, and indeed spent a lot of my childhood "play" hours reading a book rather than sniffling from allergies outside.

So in honor of my childhood, here are some of my favorite kid's books ~

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Cendak
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper
The Berentein Bears!
Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch (remember mom? "love you forever, like you for always...")
Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
All Babysitters Club books by Ann M. Martin
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner (yea boxcar stew!)
Nancy Drew books
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlin
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

Compiling this list today was totally nostalgic - like remembering old and very beloved friends.

Ok compadres - what did I miss off my list? And what are your favorites?

2 comments:

Anna said...

You hit most of my favorites too but did miss a few...
-King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood
-The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
-I'm Not Moving (not sure who it's by and too lazy to go look at the book on the shelf)

I'm also a big fan of the Shel Silverstein books

Marne said...

Great list. I have to share a memory.... I had never heard "Love you Forevor" and then my mom and Brent's mom read it to us at our wedding rehearsal supper... tears!!!

Good job on the list.... only other one I can think of is Sweet Valley High (I had the game too!)
Marne