Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Southern Environmentalism

Here are some things that have been bugging me down here.

1. Chick-Fil-A serves everything in styrofoam.
a. That's Everything. From sandwich containers to the carryout cup.
b. Yes, it kept my Coke cold during 95-degree weather with 80% humidity, but still.
c. When I asked the nice grandmotherly-like hostess about it, she had to check with the manager. She found out that it was "eco-friendly" styrofoam. Does that exist?

2. Sonic serves everything in styrofoam.
a. See point b regarding Coke, but substitute non-melting ice cream instead. Delightful. For about 15 minutes until I am finished.

3. There is no recycling service pick up in our neighborhood.
a. We do not live in the boonies. A mere 35 minutes from a major metro should justify recycling pick up.
b. When I called the garbage provider to verify they did not offer recycling, they reacted similarly to the nice granmotherly-like hostess at Chick-Fil-A: shocked. Apparently no one has asked about this before.
c. And finally, I cannot find any pick up or drop off locations near where we live or near the airport where I work.

Ok, folks, seriously? What are we, in 1982? Come on - global warming is REAL, littering is BAD, recycling is GOOD.

I only slightly feel ok about not recycling because it is not available. And we truthfully don't eat at Sonic or Chick-Fil-A probably more than once a month. My only saving grace is my reusable bags from Publix. THANK YOU to my favorite local grocery store for my one little do-gooder thing I can hold on to.

No comments: