I'm an ENTJ so I LOVE big-picture stuff and HATE details. So, typically I prefer the work-backwards approach to goal setting - I'll set my big picture goals for the year and then fill in the blanks of "how" to get there.
Which is exactly how I came up with the list below. I have heard that ~5% of the population shares my personality type, so I thought I would share my thought process around setting goals for the other 95% whose brain works differently than mine.
Here are my questions I asked myself to get the big-picture list started.
1. What is really, truly important to me? And to my family unit this year?
2. What do I "wish" I had done already?
3. What do others do that inspire me?
4. How do I envision my life in 5 years? and what do I need to do to get there?
5. What will set my family up for success instead of struggle?
So, here is it is, my Top 5 Goals for 2013:
1. Work towards becoming as debt-free as possible.
2. Cook "clean" dinners at home 5 nights a week. (And continue brown-bagging breakfast and lunch.)
3. Go to the gym 4 times per week.
4. Get to MAINTENANCE on my allergy shots.
5. Find a church community.
And like any good ENTJ - I know my weaknesses. These are LOFTY goals, but achievable. I just need to break down into smaller steps...which I will do later. Or delegate. (Seriously, it's just a part of who I am to function this way.) Look for an upcoming post that will get to the PLAN of HOW to ACHIEVE!