Friday, January 4, 2013

How to Develop Goals (ENTJ edition)

I'm an ENTJ so I LOVE big-picture stuff and HATE details.  So, typically I prefer the work-backwards approach to goal setting - I'll set my big picture goals for the year and then fill in the blanks of "how" to get there.

Which is exactly how I came up with the list below.  I have heard that ~5% of the population shares my personality type, so I thought I would share my thought process around setting goals for the other 95% whose brain works differently than mine.

Here are my questions I asked myself to get the big-picture list started.
1.  What is really, truly important to me?  And to my family unit this year?
2.  What do I "wish" I had done already? 
3.  What do others do that inspire me?
4.  How do I envision my life in 5 years?  and what do I need to do to get there?
5.  What will set my family up for success instead of struggle?

So, here is it is, my Top 5 Goals for 2013:

1.  Work towards becoming as debt-free as possible.

2.  Cook "clean" dinners at home 5 nights a week.  (And continue brown-bagging breakfast and lunch.)

3.  Go to the gym 4 times per week.

4.  Get to MAINTENANCE on my allergy shots.

5.  Find a church community.

And like any good ENTJ - I know my weaknesses.  These are LOFTY goals, but achievable.  I just need to break down into smaller steps...which I will do later.  Or delegate.  (Seriously, it's just a part of who I am to function this way.)  Look for an upcoming post that will get to the PLAN of HOW to ACHIEVE!

No comments: