Friday, September 12, 2008

Grammar 201

I did not call this post grammar 101 because it is a little more advanced than elementary school - I think it is about 8th or 9th grade level. Anyway, I had to let you all in on a little pet peeve of mine called - "using the improper word".

Here are the most common ones that make me inadvertantly judge you when you write emails, IMs, post on facebook, etc:

to and too - Too has primary meanings of “also” or “excessively". And that's it.

your and you're - If you cannot insert "you are" where you type "you're", use the other one

their and there - their relates person, there is a place

Affect vs Effect - affect is an action (verb), effect is what happens because of an action

borrow vs lend - I will lend something to you, while you borrow it. Seriously, just get this one right, and do not say the phrase, "will you borrow me something?".

Ok, off the soapbox. Have a great day speaking your native tongue!

No comments: