Friday, March 30, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken Salad

I am so excited to try this recipe that was posted here this week!

I love Mediterranean food...these ingredients are almost always stocked in my pantry or fridge.

I am not a huge fan of the putzi-ness of kebabs, so I will cut up strips of chicken and pan-cook them. I will most definitely also add a pita!!!

And, so you can see how I make an moderately easy recipe SUPER easy, I will put my comments below for each ingredient on how I, the-ever-lazy-wannabe-chef, plan to make this recipe even simpler.

Ingredients:
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes (I am going to do strips)

For the marinade:
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (I am going to do bottled)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic, crushed (I'll chop it)
kosher salt to taste (I have the one with the girl umbrella, NOT kosher)
fresh ground black pepper to taste (I also don't have a pepper grinder)
OR - if I'm feeling really lazy, I may just marinate it in RF Italian dressing...

For the salad:
1 1/4 cups cucumber, peeled (no peeling for me, thank you very much)
1 1/4 cups diced tomato
1/4 cup diced bell pepper
2 tbsp red onion, diced (eliminating - YUCK)
1/4 cup black olives (jarred whole olives because that's what I have)
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice (bottled again)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh dillweed (what? no. I don't ever have fresh herbs. I'll use dried.)
1 tsp fresh parsley (also no.)
1/8 tsp dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste

4 cups shredded lettuce (I buy the triple washed pre-washed Organic Girl blends. Yes, I'm THAT person who doesn't want to even shred or wash their lettuce.)
1/2 cup feta cheese, grated (I buy Athenos already chunked feta, reduced fat.)
lemon wedges for serving (no again)

Ok folks, the original directions weren't working for me so I condensed them below. Click on the link above if you want to see more beautiful photos and the original directions.

Directions:
Marinate the chicken overnight.

Combine the first 12 salad ingredients (cucumbers through salt and black pepper, not the lettuce) and set aside in the refrigerator to let the flavors set (10-20 minutes).

Throw chicken strips into a pan with 1 tsp olive oil and cooke for 5-6 minutes until chiken is cooked.

Pile lettuce, tomato-cucumber salad, feta cheese and chicken strips onto a plate. ENJOY!

No comments: